Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are everywhere. Even when we make our best effort to eat organically, a GMO will slip through here and there — we eat out, cheat with a few conventional corn chips, eat nonorganic soy, or eat processed food with high fructose corn syrup. The body can handle a mishap every once in a while, but shocking information about the dangerous Bt-toxin found in genetically engineered crops like corn and soy has scientists (and consumers) worried. This toxin has the potential to turn our intestinal system into a literal ‘pesticide factory’ — even after we stop consuming GM foods. Fortunately, simple and natural remedies provide a powerful solution to this alarming component of our food supply.
A Dangerous Bacteria
Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is naturally found in the soil and has been used as an insecticide in organic farming for years. Farmers spray their crops with the bacteria, insects eat it and their stomachs subsequently break open. Monsanto decided it would be profitable to splice a gene of Bt with corn, soybeans and cotton — creating plants that were rife with the bacteria not just on the surface but within the cell wall. Monsanto and the Environmental Protection Agency claimed the toxin would be destroyed within the digestive tract of mammals and magically disappear. Guess what? The physicians at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec, Canada discovered Bt-toxin in 93 percent of 30 pregnant women, 80 percent of umbilical cord blood of their babies and 67 percent of 39 women who were not pregnant. Considering Bt-toxin is linked with cancer, autism, severe food allergies and autoimmune disease, these findings are downright frightening.
Even when Bt is sprayed, adverse reactions will occur. Five hundred people in Washington state and Vancouver reported flu-like and allergic symptoms when exposed to the spray. Thousands of farm workers in India had similar symptoms after handling genetically modified Bt cotton. And a small village lost an entire herd of buffalo along with many of their sheep and goats that consumed Bt cotton and died soon after. Reports of this kind pour in by the hundreds in the news media.
Living Pesticide Factories
The researchers of the Quebec study speculate that the source of Bt-toxin found in the blood samples came from the standard middle class diet, including animals that are fed Bt corn. Jeffrey M. Smith, executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology, suspects the rise in Bt levels is due to another reason: colonies of the bacteria are replicating within the intestines, long after the GM food was ingested. If this hypothesis is correct, according to Smith, “…we might see an increase in gastrointestinal problems, autoimmune diseases, food allergies, and childhood learning disorders. Since 1996 when Bt crops came on the market, physicians have told me that they indeed are seeing such an increase.” The question is — how do we protect ourselves from Bt-toxin and rid ourselves of it once exposed?
Rid your Body of Bt-toxin
- Adopt a 100 percent GMO-free, organic diet.
- Drink 3 liters/quarts of spring water or use reliable water purification like reverse osmosis that remove contaminants like pesticides.
- Try ‘herbal antibiotics’ like olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, cat’s claw, garlic and silver (I recommend Argentyn 23 — safe subnanometer sized particles) to kill harmful pathogens.
- Consume probiotic-rich foods such as non-pasteurized kimchi and sauerkraut, yogurt and kefir to increase good bacteria in the gut. For more information on probiotics, read my article Probiotics–The Foundation of Health.
- Ingest plenty of fiber to push dangerous organisms out of the system.
- Avoid sugar, refined grains, and processed food as both are fuel for harmful bacteria in the gut.
- Use infrared saunas every day if possible. See my article on Infrared Saunas.
- Do coffee enemas. See my article on Coffee Enemas.
Avoid Genetically Modified Foods
Avoiding genetically modified foods should be at the top of everyone’s list—at least if you want a decent shot at optimal health. The simplest way to avoid genetically modified foods is to buy whole, certified organic foods. By definition, foods that are certified organic must be produced without artificial pesticides or fertilizers. There are currently eight genetically modified food crops on the market:
|Soy (Bt)||Sugar from sugar beets|
|Corn (Bt)||Hawaiian papaya|
|Cottonseed (used in vegetable cooking oils)||Some varieties of zucchini|
|Canola (canola oil)||Crookneck squash|
GMO’s have been shown, beyond a doubt, to destroy health in humans and animals alike. Countries all over the world, including Europe, Russia, etc, have limited imports or outright banned genetically modified corn based on the findings of a two-year French study of the effects of GM corn on rats. This is the only long-term study of GM food’s effects on health to date. The results were shocking — rats developed large breast tumors, prostate tumors, died early, and suffered kidney damage. Read more about this study. Boycott genetically modified food, detoxify, and spread the word about the dangers before it is too late.
If you’ve had a bad experience with GMO’s, I want to hear about it. Tell me your story by leaving a comment below. I want to know!
1. Bardot, JB. “The 5 Best Natural Antibiotics and Anti-vitals that Destroy Superbugs and Just About Everything Else.” Natural News, April 10, 2012. http://www.naturalnews.com/035516_natural_antibiotics_superbugs.html
2. “Natural Antibiotic Remedies” Earth Clinic. http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/natural_antibiotics.html
3. Sirinathsinghji, Eva, MD. “Bt Crop Failures & Hazards.” Institute of Science in Society, December 14, 2011. http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Bt_crops_failures_and_hazards.php
4. Smith, Jeffrey. “Dangerous Toxins from Genetically Modified Plants Found in Women and Fetuses.” Institute for Responsible Technology, May 25, 2011. http://action.responsibletechnology.org/o/6236/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1165644